The Fall Classic gets underway this evening. The Royals are back after 29 years and the Giants are annoyingly back for the 3rd time in 5 years. I’m looking forward to watching the game tonight. Here are some fun facts you might not know about the World Series.
1) In 1934, brothers Dizzy and Paul Dean were the winning pitchers in each of the Cardinals 4 World Series wins.
2) In 1921, the entire series was played in the Polo Grounds with the Yankees and Giants squaring off.
3) In 1903, the Cubs and Tigers had a World Series game end in a 3-3 tie due to darkness.
4) The Pirates won the 1960 World Series, despite being outscored 55-27 in total runs for the series by the Yankees.
5) In 1994, the World Series was cancelled because George Costanza was working for the Yankees. Actually, there was a strike.
6) In 1917, the White Sox were led to a World Series win by their manager Pants Rowland. No, I’m not making that up.
7) The first World Series was a 9 game series. The format changed from 9 to 7 and back several times. The last 9 game series was 1921.
8) From 1949 to 1958, only one World Series was won by a team outside of New York. (1957 Milwaukee Braves)
9) The 2015 World Series will be won by the San Diego Padres.
Carry on, Citizens!
Put Something Funny In Your Inbox!
Never miss a post. Get the occasional freebie and have a few laughs. Heaven knows we need a few laughs these days!